I have been neglecting the blog as far as writing although I have been photographing a lot and I also have been in the middle of switching over computers. There has been a disruption in my workflow because I can't load in certain actions and Pictage doesn't work with a 64 bit version of Vista and Lightroom 2 straight out of Lightroom won't burn my discs now. So super argg. I like the speed of my new computer, but I need the actions and presets for my workflow. I was checking out Doug Boutwell, I bought his TOTALLY RAD ACTIONS, here’s the link http://gettotallyrad.com/#rockin-photoshop-actions-7a1d9 you'll have to copy and paste because I suck and still can't figure out how to insert it. Anyway I was checking out his work and he is really a good artist. While I was at his site I saw his 30 random things about himself. I am stealing his idea, but making it 45 because that’s my age in years on the planet.
When checking out other wedding photographer's bios I see many who lead with their favorite color and their favorite flavor of ice cream and so on. I am looking for substance and content, but I see that they just loved shooting pictures since they were little. I identify with them, but then I think that isn't good enough for me to justify handing them $5K+. Why am I going to spend my $$ on you? Because you are cute and like pastels and bubbles. If you go to www.kimjamesfineart.com you will get my bio and my art education and my experience. Not what color I like.
So here is the first random thing about me.
1. I am a nice Bitch! I'll say it always to your face, only if you ask, I will do everything to set you at ease and make you comfortable besides take abuse. Then the wicked bitch comes out.
2. I study photography and art every day, every single day. I love Edward Weston Alfred Stieglitz, Sylvia Plachy, Steven Meisel Paolo Ravorsi, Annie Leibovitz, Guy Boudin, Albert Watson, Carol Carter, Birgit O’Conner, Nancy Collins. I am in love with Maxfeild Parrish and Georgia O’Keefe. I saw their work when I was 5 and it took my breath away. I would have Maxfeild Parrish originals all over my house if I could afford them. I want to paint the inside of flowers.
3. I would rather paint, photograph and write more than I want to fit in, gossip, hang out or belong.
4. I am my most critical judge of my work. It's never strong enough.
5. I wanted to be a bareback rider in the circus when I was five. Sometimes I still do.
6. I am afraid of the ocean's power and I desire to be near it. Same with horses.
7. I believe in reincarnation, life in other galaxies and a great creator.
8. I hate dogma. HATE IT! I am a fiscal conservative and a social liberal. I believe in = rights for all humans.
9. I love photographing people because it is such an honest experience for me. To really see someone is an honor.
10. I know boys and girls are different. Not better or worse.
11. If we taught sex as biology rather than as morality we’d have less knocked up teenagers.
12. After I photograph a person I come to know them through their images and I miss them and find I feel a kinship to them, even if we were strangers before.
13. I am fiercely in love with my entire family.
14. I hurt when they hurt, but unless they are under the age of 17 I don't usually run interference between them and the disaster they choose. I believe we must grow in our own way and own pace.
15. Dave Matthew's lyrics knock me over and I never get sick of him. Some Devil, is my favorite CD of his.
16. I was a fashion model in NY for Elite in the 80s I lived in NY and Paris, worked in Rome, danced at studio 54 and Regines and I didn't do a thing to create that for myself. It was handed to me. I didn't appreciate all the wonderful people who were kind to me. But one by one I am saying thank you. Martin Ryter, Oliviero Tuscani, John Casablancas.
17. I have 5 living children I had a baby that died and another that almost did. We survived it, I survived it.
18. I started smoking when I was 10 and quit when I was 42. Marlboros, I still miss them and would rather smoke one in Paris at a cafe with Shirley than paint.
19. I have had my heart broken 5 times. Every time I thought I would die. I didn’t.
20. I think about my grandpa and my brother every day.
21. I like physics. "What the Bleep do we Know." is one of my all time favorite films.
22. I let my beautiful 16 year old daughter go live in Switzerland for almost a year because it was the best thing for her and I miss her so much!
23. I have 3 dogs, I will always have dogs. Big ones.
24. I love camping and swimming and BBQs at our families special place on the Trinity. I dream of it.
25. I live in the wilderness and I never tire of the smell of summer in the pines, campfires and fresh thunderstorm rains mixed up with freshly wetted dirt.
26. I want a little fine art show in a gallery in New York when I am 80. I love to shoot nudes, but you won’t be catching me naked.
27. I miss San Francisco so much I dream of a little apartment in the Marina when I am old.
28. I will write a book in my older years. I have already written a script, I write poetry, only when I am in a grave amount of turmoil and some is really good, I have been told.
29. If you are my friend I will love you till I die even if we have had a falling out.
30. I can’t believe that my children have grown up so fast I still feel 25. I also think they are better people than I am.
31. I love medicine and science and I read the news on them often.
32. I am 20 pounds overweight and I love to eat especially desert. Chocolate cake please. I work out daily and do not allow myself many food items and still 20+. ARG.
33. I am a damn good cook! I am also a damn good gardener.
34. I was a model agent and scout for 8 years and I commuted to SF from Sonoma everyday with my babies. I also traveled to NY and Miami with them.
35. I love super raunchy comedy, but I have to listen to it alone. It’s too embarrassing and I laugh loudly.
36. I dropped out of school in the 10th grade. I have been going to the school of my own curriculum ever since. I own close to a 1000 books. I read 2-3 hours a day, everything. I have at least 20 items on my nightstand at any given time to read.
37. I love to swear and give the finger. At 45 I have learned a time and a place.
38. I believe there are only 2 forms of being, love or fear. I may feel fearful but I try to love anyway.
39. In another life I would be born to 2 gay men in the Castro and I would be their princess.
40. I once rode on the back of a motorcycle going 120 mph. I was in a swimsuit. I also raced from St. Tropez to Paris going 130 in a Ferrari. I wasn’t driving.
41. I used to sneak into the San Francisco zoo when I was 9 and I would take the bus and the troli all over the city alone.
42. Days at the beach watching my children swim and photographing them is one of my favorite ways to spend the day.
43. I fly in my dreams and dream in color. Last week I was in Dubai and I was also visiting Steven Meisel in his NY apartment.
44. French Vogue is an indulgence. I LOVE FASHION!!!!
45. I have been studying painting, fine art and photography for 11 years now. I teach the 6 elements of design through the watercolor media to 4th and 6th graders.